Nocturnal Journal

Paranormal Romance Author
Mandy M. Roth
Vampires, Werewolves & Faeries...Oh My!
Monday, September 11, 2006
Sink or swim...my advice on no advice...

I get a lot of email wanting to know why I don’t discuss writing tips and tricks on my website, blogs or boards. The answer to that is simple. I still do not feel like an author. The very idea of giving writing advice doesn’t sit well with me. There are a couple of people (you know who you are) that play the “bounce story ideas off each other” game with me but that’s it. I’ve tried my hand at a critique group and it wasn’t for me. I’m not sure I could even list the reasons why because I’m not completely sure of them myself.

I’m often asked about what advice I have for aspiring authors. Write what you love is about the only profound (I use the term loosely here) thing I have to offer. I really do feel as if I was dropped into a sea with no indication of where land might be. I’m totally lost on most days. Sink or swim. Currently, I’m treading water and keeping my head afloat—barely. I’m surrounded by all types of people—those who are fountains of wisdom, who have done and seen most everything this industry has to throw at them, those who are in the same treading spot I am, those who are new and eager to learn everything there is to know, and those who talk a big game but are wet behind the ears (you know the types, think they have an answer for everything but are getting their info from the same exact sources you are but rushing to implement them to look like they know what the hell they’re doing—thus making them leading experts).

To be honest, I couldn’t survive without all of them. I take notes when called for, always starved to learn something new. I raise an eyebrow, hide a smile and do what I have to do when presented with the fad-of-the-momenters (inventing words here, I know), I try to be as helpful as I can be to the new folks and I lean heavily on those in the same treading position. It’s one big dysfunctional family. For me to step forth and offer my tips and tricks for writing seems a bit premature. I’ll tell you what, should I ever hit the NY Bestseller list, I’ll blog all the time about what to do. Until then, I’m content doing my thing and observing the sea around me.

posted by mandymroth @ 9:33 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Very well stated.

    glub glub *g*

     
  • At 8:55 AM, Blogger Kimberly Kaye Terry said…

    Here here Mandy-girl.

    You know me, I don't give advice accept to say do what you feel works for you. (well, there was that time I wanted to hog-tie you to do something you KNOW you should have done...grumble)

    E'rthing don't work for E'rbody, lol. It's why I don't belong to any groups, or the two i do belong to, I rarely post, don't visit many blogs, don't do chats and generally stay in my own little crazy dysfunctional yet functioning quite well world, *g*

    We all have a path to tread, and listening to the advice of others, although sometimes well-meaning, can be counter-productive. Hmmm. Did I just give advice? ::Shrug::

    xo..xo
    ~K

     
  • At 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post! :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

 
 


Web This Blog
About Me


Name: mandymroth
Home: United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Prowling


My Den

Mandy M. Roth website
Mandy's Myspace

Prowling

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


Meta