Nocturnal Journal

Paranormal Romance Author
Mandy M. Roth
Vampires, Werewolves & Faeries...Oh My!
Thursday, December 07, 2006
13 going on 30...

I just received an email from someone who found me on myspace. So far, I have nothing but nice things to say about myspace. The person was young and interested in reading my books. I had to point out that they are NOT appropriate for anyone under the age of 18. I haven’t heard back from her yet but it reminded me of a book signing I had back in October. A grandmother and her granddaughter came up to my table, wanting to buy one of my books. The girl was in her early/mid-teens. I suggested some alternate authors who do not write erotic but who still write paranormal and I really felt like I should have been talking to a wall. It was a case of in one ear and out the other. The girl had it in her head that she wanted one of my books and wasn’t taking no for an answer. Other readers came to the table, having me sign books while she continued browsing (there was a LOT of foot traffic and people stopping to have books signed or ask questions that day). I also continued pointing out that my books my violence and FRANK sexual language and open door bedroom scenes….ADULT CONTENT. Finally, her grandmother thrusts three at me and I flat out take one away. Okay, I’m not going to yell at anyone, especially at a signing but geesh. In the end, they bought one. I wasn't pleased to say the least. When all was said and done, they walked past with their bag from the bookstore and the grandmother actually says "This book won't make my granddaughter wild, will it?" It was all I could do not to shout at her. I mean, hello...did I not just spend how long trying to explain it wasn't appropriate? All I got of the ordeal was a lawsuit waiting to happen and a huge headache. I may be a rare breed but I wouldn’t let my daughter (if I had one) read my books at that age. Eighteen? Sure, but not younger.


The girl and her grandmother thing ate at me the entire book signing. A mother with two twin twelve year old girls approached next. She was very nice and wanted the girls to get to meet an author. When she lifted one of my titles, I did as I’d done with the other couple, I put my hand over the book and explained it wasn’t for anyone other than adults and that the material was inappropriate. The mother smiled, set it down, sent the girls to look at books in their age range and thanked me for pointing that out to her. We talked for a bit and I gave her some suggested readings for her daughter (one of the twins was a big reader) because my son is the same age and loves Ciqure De Freaks and some other works. When she left, my mood had improved dramatically, giving me hope that I’m not just overprotective.

posted by mandymroth @ 11:32 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

 
 


Web This Blog
About Me


Name: mandymroth
Home: United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Prowling


My Den

Mandy M. Roth website
Mandy's Myspace

Prowling

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


Meta