Nocturnal Journal

Paranormal Romance Author
Mandy M. Roth
Vampires, Werewolves & Faeries...Oh My!
Monday, December 18, 2006
Research...

Oh, yes, just one of the reasons I love writing. I’m working on three projects at one time again. None of which have the same research material or topics. Notes are my new best friend. One minute I’m knee deep in one handed vs. two handed swords of old to guessing how much technology and medical breakthroughs we’ll have six hundred plus years from now in the area of androids. With the relatively new breakthrough on the part of the female android that looks very lifelike and with the advances in growing skin, tissue and organs that is currently taking place, not to mention a coma patient waking up after almost two decades and his brain going from predominately atrophied to showing signs of new axon growth—I’m assuming we’ll be fairly far in this area. I’m also guessing what we perceive as “the way it is” will change significantly by then as well.

Did any of you ever think they’d be able to do a face transplant? I know if you’d have asked me that ten years ago I’d have laughed you out of the room. I’ve come a long way in thinking outside the box. I have hopes that most people do as well or will before too long. I’m guessing the people who limit themselves to what they know to be true here and now don’t read too much in the way of fiction. If they do, all I have to offer is that once people thought the world was flat. Enough said. *snicker*

I can completely see how terms and ways of thinking will be modified over the centuries as they always have been. Trying to incorporate them into the storyline is challenging but fun.

Not only are advancements in medical taking place all around us, scientists are making huge breakthroughs in other areas that make writing a futuristic exciting and virtually limitless. I mean come on, who wasn’t excited when they read about the strides they’ve made in quantum teleportation? I don’t care that they’re only dealing with subatomic particles physical states right now. We can only imagine what they’ll be dealing with centuries from now.

Going from one end of the research spectrum to the other has been a blast. It’s also prompted me to ask myself how much of this is necessary. More often than not, I’ll spend days, some times weeks (there is a series I plan to do that I’ve been digging up information on for over three years now) researching something only to hint at in the final book. In the end I still feel good for having looked it up, and dug more into it all so I don’t have regret. I just know me and I’m very easy to lose in the research end of things…meaning…I’ll have so much fun learning about something new that it will consume what should have been my writing time.

You all might think I’m kidding but my editors can attest to just how ridiculous I can get when it comes to research. Not to mention anyone who knows me or has seen pics of my office knows just how many non-fiction books line the shelves.



posted by mandymroth @ 7:12 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At 7:36 AM, Blogger mandymroth said…

    Hey, it chopped the end of my post off where I ask what you as writers do in the way of research and how much do you as readers like to see woven into the storyline?

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I HATE research.

    Mandy, how many bullets does a 9mm hold in the clip?

    Mandy, what do you call those funky shoes the guys in the Middle ages wore?

    Mandy....

    See, I don't need research books. I have a Mandy. *g*

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Angela James said…

    Mandy's weird. Has anyone else noticed?

     
  • At 10:04 AM, Blogger mandymroth said…

    Am not. *sticks out tongue*

    Okay, so maybe I am...a little. I thought Shan really needed the info so I was about to send her a list of shoes from that time and she confessed to joking.

    Okay, I'm a dork. I'll admit it.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 

 
 


Web This Blog
About Me


Name: mandymroth
Home: United States
About Me:
See my complete profile

Previous Post
Archives
Prowling


My Den

Mandy M. Roth website
Mandy's Myspace

Prowling

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]


Meta